Cuala Casements 1967 – 1974 – the Dunphy legacy

Cuala Casements has earned a special place in the hearts of many of today's older members. Prior to its evolution into modern-day Cuala, the Sallynoggin-headquartered outfit played a huge part in promoting juvenile teams and it left an indelible mark in the local GAA landscape. now we have a meticulously recorded record of their exploits.

Cuala Head for the Hills in 1911 – but all is not as it seems

A pre-1920s Cuala team spotted in them thar hills. So just who were they?

The Cuala Marian League – and the man that gave us our Club Name

This is a revised and updated version of an article that was first published in Oct 2017 The Marian Leagues were originally run across parish schools in South Dublin and North Wicklow from as early as 1953 (a year before the Marian Year) until…

Dunleary O’Connells – Junior Football Winners 1911

Dunleary O'Connells  is another of those Clubs whos very existence has been largely forgotten. Although not known to have any direct connection with the modern Cuala club, Cartlann Digiteach Cuala feels this forum is a fitting place to record what is known of this once powerful club in what has since become the Cuala heartland.

Hyde Road Pitch Opening – 1989

Cartlann Digiteach Cuala previously reported on the wonderful efforts made to develop our pitch at Hyde Park. Of course no such undertaking would have been complete without a suitable celebration and what better way than to have the country's finest players put the pitch to the test in a challenge match in the presence of Cuala members and friends.

Comhar Cualann – So Little Time (So Much to Do).

Cartlann Digiteach Cuala  occasionally likes to look over our historical fence to better understand what our neighbours were up to back in the day. We, like many others, would have shared a belief that there was not much going on in the locality…

Johnson set the perfect pitch

Cartlann Digiteach Cuala loves attics. And when the attic in question belongs to a former Chairman who played a major role in developing one of Cuala's most important facilities, we know we're in for a treat. So we were delighted to hear from Tommy Johnson (Chairman 1987-1989) who has shared with us his many interesting notes and images from this important period.

Historic overview

The formal Cuala story can be traced from records of games in the area in the late-19th century and on through a variety of mergers, off-shoots, 'rests' and ressurections involving local clubs like Cuala Hurling Club, Naomh Mhuire, St Begnet's, Dalkey Mitchell's, Roger Casements and Cuala Boys. All of these clubs are part of the great Cuala journey - their history and that of the modern club are inseparable.

RMS Leinster – centenary commemoration

The sinking of the RMS Leinster in 1918 - to be commemorated shortly - was by far the worst loss of life in Irish Waters. Of the 550+ casualties, 21 Post Office mail sorters lost their lives. Many of the postal workers are understood to have come from the Kingstown (Dún Laoghaire) area and it has been reported that some were members of local GAA clubs. We wonder might there be families out there who know more?

Roger Casement Summer School 2018

Cuala members with an appreciation of the history of the club will be interested in this Summer School taking place at the end of August in Dun Laoghaire. One of the constituent clubs making up the Cuala family was called Cuala Casements (1967 - 1974), previously Roger Casements (1966 - 67) in recognition of the patriot's association with nearby Sandycove, his birthplace in 1864. Cathaoirleach Cuala, Damian McKeown has been invited to participate in the event. Both he and Cartlann Digiteach Cuala are interested in hearing stories of those amalgamations from anyone involved at the time.