This is the earliest known team photograph of a Cuala team. Significantly, it provides an important link between the present club and the team who are understood to have played in the Lower Quarry and the “Firm” Quarry on Dalkey Hill – beside Ardbrugh Road. Today’s players will be interested to observe the shape of the hurls in those earlier times. –
This newspaper cutting – naming 17 (players only?) is from the O’Maolain Album. A separate document lists more of those pictured (& slightly differently) –
Back Row (L-R) Eamon Quirke, Unknown, William Byrne (Snr), Paddy Darcy, Paddy Murphy,
Paddy Dennehy, Joe Hennessy, Jack Thomas, Tom Mullen , Unknown, & Charlie Somers
Middle row (L-R) Unknown (kneeling), John Moloney, Paddy Thomas, Tom Byrne, Liam Byrne,
Eamon McNoibin, Seamus Byrne, Mylie O’Neill
Front Row (L-R) Michael Byrne, John Kelly, Stephen Taylor (boy), Jack Ledwidge, Unknown,
William Byrne (Snr) was the 52-year-old father of 7 boys, 4 of whom are in this picture – Liam (aged 23), Seamus (aged 21) and Michael (aged 17). They lived in Dalkey Avenue. (Ages assume that picture is dated 1920).
Liam (Óg) was the grandfather of Damien Byrne (Cuala and Dublin Goalkeeper) and John Paul Byrne (Cuala, Dublin & Leinster Champion)
Cartlann Digiteach Cuala would be grateful to hear from anyone who is in possession of an original photograph or who has similar photographs from this period.
Cartlann Digiteach Cuala (Cuala Digital Archive) was established in 2009 to assemble an on-line archive of images, stories and memorabilia relating to Cuala and its ‘ancestral’ clubs.
If you have any information or material to share with us, please contact –
Michael Goodwin, +353 (0) 87 2266140, email@example.com
Contributors can be assured that all material will be kept safe, treated with care and returned promptly.
More History Articles