Who was this team and how do they integrate into the Cuala Story?

The picture was kindly presented to Cuala by Frank Mullen, Dalkey Utd. in 1995 and, as the incription of the ball shows, dates from the 1920-21 season. The man “in possession” of the ball is Leo Ledwidge and is almost certainly the brother of Jack Ledwidge of the 1920’s Cuala Hurlers – they resided at Dalkey Avenue. Leo would have been about 18 at the time.


Back Row: D. O’Neill, M. Martin, unknown, unknown, Jim Connelty, C. Kavanagh
3rdRow: Willy Kavangh, Jim Hammond, J.Casey, G. Bryan, P.Greaves, J. Nicholson, P.O’Brien
2nd Row: Tom Reid,  Joe Byrne,  Leo Ledwidge,  Billy Bryan,  M.Dowling
Front Row: M.Casey, (Dog),  J.Kearns,  Martin Butlet,  Dick Kearns,  Peach Kelly,  Paddy Breen


Cartlann Digiteach Cuala (Cuala Digital Archive) was established in 2009 to assemble an on-line archive of images, stories and memorabilia relating to Cuala and its ‘ancestral’ clubs.
If you have any information or material to share with us, please contact –
Michael Goodwin, +353 (0) 87 2266140,  history@cualagaa.ie
Contributors can be assured that all material will be kept safe, treated with care and returned promptly.  
More History Articles