https://cualagaa.ie/wp-content/uploads/logo_cuala_online_new.jpg 300 300 Cuala Webmaster https://cualagaa.ie/wp-content/uploads/Asset-2xxxhdpi-1-1030x202-1.png Cuala Webmaster2012-04-26 21:44:442013-02-14 13:04:54Cuala Weekly News
Hello Cuala Patrons
Plenty of action this week so pay attention:
- The 1998 (Under 14) girls put in some great performances in their group of the Ladies Football Feile in Malahide last Saturday, but unfortunately came away with three gallant defeats. Cuala, playing in Division 1, drew 3 of the strongest teams in the county including ultimate winners, Foxrock Cabinteely. The Cuala girls never gave up and their performances kept improving as the day went on – at half time of the final game it looked like a well deserved victory might have been on the cards but O’Tooles pulled away with the aid of the breeze. All 23 of the squad played their heart out and, both on the day itself and in their preparation for the Feile, the girls were a credit to themselves and the Club. The 1998s players and mentors would like to thank the large and loud group of parents and other Cuala supporters, especially players from other girls teams, who made the long trip to Malahide to support the team. The 98s now turn their attention to the Dublin Camogie Feile on May 26/27 and the National Camogie Feile in July, and of course to the Under 14 football league and championship.
- There was a good win for the U11 girls football team away to Ballinteer St John’s on Saturday. Hard luck to the Senior Ladies team who went down to Castleknock at Hyde Road last Wednesday.
- A group of Under 12 (2000s) boys had a very enjoyable and worthwhile trip to the Salthill Knocknacarra club in Galway on Sunday for an intercounty hurling blitz. The 2000s lads played some great hurling to record wins over Galway clubs Turloughmore, Mullagh and Carnmore with a narrow loss to a strong Clarinbridge side.
- Reminder: Cuala will be hosting Division Two, Group 1 at Thomastown on Saturday May 5th. The U14A footballers will take on Raheny, Kilmacud Crokes and Castleknock. All support from around the club will be warmly welcomed. The U14B and U14C footballers will play their fixtures at Fingal Ravens and Kilmacud Crokes respectively as we launch a three pronged attack on the Féile.
- Well done to Mark Schutte and the Dublin U21 footballers who made it through to the All Ireland Final with a victory over Cork in Portlaoise on Saturday. Hard luck to Paul Schutte and David Treacy as well as our other senior panellists on the dublin hurling set up. Concentration now focused on the Championship.
- The senior footballers came from five points down with five minutes to play against Fingallians at the weekend. With one minute to go they led by one but a last gasp point from the Swords side saw the spoils shared. There was a good win for the Junior footballers in the Championship against St James Gaels and for the Minor A Hurlers who posted a good win over Na Fianna at Shankill on Sunday morning.
- The U16A Footballers came through their first round A Championship against Maurs and there were good wins also for the U15B and u13B footballers. U16s are out against St. Sylvesters this weekend in Malahide in championship quarter finals and all support is welcome.
- It’s Football action for the Minors this weekend, the A’s are away to Na Fianna, the B’s face Kilmacud Crokes in Shankill and the C’s are away to St. Finian’s (Newcastle) all matches are at 11am on Sunday.
- Senior hurlers are in championship action on Saturday vs Lucan at 5pm in Parnell Park. The Junior As face Castleknock in Shankill at 6pm on Saturday while the Junior C’s face Naomh Mearnog on Sunday in Portmarnock at 11am.
- If you want to see all the adult fixtures – click on the Scoreboard on the Cuala Website -here’s the link https://cualagaa.ie/fixtures-results-2/. Just follow the links to Fixtures or Results . How easy is that?
- The 2012 Mick Holden Memorial Golf Classic on Friday 20th April, was a huge success. Played in great weather, the competition was won, with a fantastic score, by the O’Neill’s team – the same famous O’Neill’s who won a Dublin Senior Hurling Championship with Cuala in 1994! Once again, friends from many strands of Mick’s life gathered to remember him and to celebrate his life. Good golf, good food, and, most importantly, good people! Matt Browne crowned the day’s celebrations and proceedings with a wonderfully delivered tribute to our good friend, the late Michael Holden.
- The club wishes to pass on its condolences to the Hayes Family on the death of Matthew Hayes. Matt was a long-time Cuala supporter and we offer our sympathies to his wife Mary, to Shay (Adult Hurlers), Maura, Anthony, Matt Jnr., Joseph, Patricia (Higgins), Malachy, Martin and and to all his grandchildren. Funeral Mass will be held on Friday at 10:00 in St.Michael’s Church Dún Laoghaire. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.
- We also offer our sympathies to senior footballer, Paul Kennedy whose father Steve died in Listry , Co. Kerry earlier this week. Paul is a new and most welcome member of Cuala and our thoughts go to him at this time.
- Dave Hudson, Des Cahill,(insider knowledge perhaps?), Philip O Donnell and Paul McAdam are the early leaders in the Sportsprophet competition. The competition is based on the ability to correctly predict winners to 25 sporting events in 2012. Chelsea and Bayern have ruined a lot of predictions this week ? The leaderboard should chop and change over the next three months with a lot of sporting events drawing to a conclusion. The F.A. cup final, the Heineken Cup, the Premiership , the World Snooker championships will all conclude in May. Monitor your progress on sportsprophet.ie. More importantly if you haven’t yet paid your entry fee contact Aidan Boyle at 0863200683 or give €20 to Aidan or any of the Adult football mentors.
- Tickets for the Minor’s Fundraiser “The Legend of Luke Kelly” (Fri May 18) are now available on-line at https://cualagaa.ie/buy-luke-kelly-tribute-tickets/ as well as the usual outlets -Cuala Shop (Tue 19:00 to 20:00, Sat 09:00 to 11:00)
Cuala Office (Weekdays 09:30 to 12:00, phone 01 2350717).
Colin Behan (085 7380742)
All for this week