Hello Cuala Patrons
Easter upon us already and Spring seems to have disappeared. Apologies but you will have noticed the website has been down several times this week and unfortunately this has delayed the Newsletter run also:
- It is with sadness I inform you of the death of Mick McClure, mentor with the 2000s group since the Academy and father of 2000s player, Conor. Mick passed away peacefully on Saturday last having battled illness for a number of months. Mick will be missed by his fellow mentors, the parents and all of the 2000s players, 38 of whom formed a Guard of Honour at Mick’s funeral mass on Tuesday. It was a fitting and appropriate tribute to Mick. Our thoughts and prayers are with Conor, Mary and all of the McClure family. Ar dheis De go raibh a anam.
- A special word of congratulations to the Cuala girls who play with Colaiste Iosagain. Coláiste Íosagáin were crowned All Ireland Junior B football champions last weekend after an 8 point win against ScoilBhride from Tuam. A number of Cuala girls have now won 2 All Ireland medals in a matter of weeks, some having been part of the Coláiste Íosagáin camogie panel who won the All Ireland Senior D Colleges final last month. Well done girls.
- All the Cuala girls teams were in action this weekend; from under 8 camogie right through to under 16 football with a mixed bag of results. It was great to see our newest stars, the under 8s, taking to the field in their first camogie blitz while at the same time our under 9s played in their first football blitz. A full report on all the action from Cuala girls is available on the Cuala website. Space in Meadowvale was at a premium on Sunday morning in particular and we would like to extend a sincere thanks to the other games sections who facilitated us in using alternative club venues.
- Congratulations to Aileen Lawlor on becoming President of the Camogie Association. Good to see endorsement of the One Club model adhered to by Cuala. The girls groups at the club are in very good health with well over 100 in action on Sunday morning in a variety of blitzes at Thomastown.
- Well done to the Cuala Gaelic 4 Mothers team who participated in their first blitz of the season last Sunday. They put in some great performances in a 5 team competition in Naomh Peregrines, the highlight being a big win over Kilmacud Crokes. The G4M team is now open to friends not just mothers and the Cuala team are always looking for more players. Beginners very welcome. If you might be interested please contact Fran at 087-9942389.
- The under 15As had a great win against Naomh Barrog last Sunday by 2-14 to 4-7. Starting without 8 regulars they had to bring up players from the younger age group to field a team . Special mention to Jack Hartnett and Shane Molamphy from the under 14s for their performances. The match saw the debut of Jack Twomey at corner forward. We look forward to seeing Jack and his fellow under 13 Peter Jackson play in years to come.
- Tough weekend for the adult footballers with the senior team going down by six points to a strong Raheny side at Hyde Road.
- Senior Hurlers had a good run out against Boris in Ossory in Hyde Park last Saturday winning Cuala 1.15 Boris 0.07.Next League game has been refixed for Friday 13th April in Shankill v Crumlin at 6.30pm all support welcome as this is our last game before the Championship v Lucan in Parnell Park 28th April at 5.00pm
- The Mick Holden Memorial Golf Classic (MHMGC) will be held this year at Glen of the Downs Golf Club on Friday, 20 April 2012. Already, all the afternoon slots for the event have been filled. Should any additional teams or individuals wish to participate, they can still do so in the morning time-slot – at a reduced cost of €240 per team. If you are unable to attend the golf, you can still support the event through hole-sponsorship (€100) or by attending the evening dinner (€25).
The occasion provides an opportunity for relatives, friends, colleagues and former team-mates of Mick to meet, chat, recall old memories and to celebrate Mick’s life. Previous MHMGCs have been great successes and very enjoyable occasions where people from the many strands of Mick’s life have met in a celebratory and friendly atmosphere.
Vinnie Holden 086 256 1453 email@example.com
Harry Roberts 086 255 0775 firstname.lastname@example.org
Brian Reidy 086 812 6912 email@example.com
Martin Doyle 087 241 0057 firstname.lastname@example.org
- “The Legend of Luke Kelly” (Amazing Luke Kelly Tribute Band) will be appearing for one night only, Friday May 18th in Cuala GAA Club Dalkey as a fundraising initative by the Minor Section. Tickets are €12 and will go on release shortly.
All for this week – enjoy your easter eggs.