https://cualagaa.ie/wp-content/uploads/logo_news-150x1501.jpg 150 150 Cuala Webmaster https://cualagaa.ie/wp-content/uploads/Asset-2xxxhdpi-1-1030x202-1.png Cuala Webmaster2014-09-04 20:29:112014-09-04 20:31:13Cuala Weekly News
Hello Cuala Patrons
A long , mostly good summer at an end so I guess its time to resume the weekly newsletter :
- In a historical week-end for Dublin hurling, two of Cuala’s U16 hurlers were prominent in winning the U16 inter-county Arrabawn Tournament for the first time in its 27 year history. Cuala’s Ryan DeFelice in nets and Diarmait Maas who unfortunately picked up a hand injury during the week, were both in the panel for this wonderful achievement. Dublin overcame Clare and Wexford in the group stages both by 4 points, then beat Offaly by 17 points and progressed to the semi-final where they beat Waterford by 12 points. That led to a show-down against old-enemies, Kilkenny in the final. After a pulsating match the sides were level at the death, but in extra-time Dublin ran out as Tournament winners with a three point margin 1-9 to 0-9. Well done to our Cuala representatives on a fine achievement.
- Hard Luck to Cuala’s Hannah O’Dea and Billie Kate Huggard who represented the club on the Dublin Under 16 Ladies Football team who lost out narrowly to Cork by 4-7 to 2-7 in the All Ireland Final in Templemore on Sunday. The girls are straight back into action with their 1998 club teammates in the first round of the Under 16 football championship against Ballyboden on Sunday.
- Well done to Cuala’s Michael Conroy, Kevin Kirwan, Liam Murphy and Cormac Spain who represented Dublin in the Under 14 Tony Forrestal tournament in Waterford last weekend. The Dubs beat Laois and lost to Cork so did not progress from their group – but a great experience for the lads and thats what its about at this age!Dublin’s U15s were not as successful in their tournament, but Cuala had Mark O’Treasaigh and Cormac Quinn prominent for the Dubs.
- Last Sunday saw the Dublin Minor football team captained by Con O’Callaghan beaten by Donegal by a single point in last Sunday’s All Ireland semi-final on a 1.12 to 1.11 scoreline. Heartbreak for all concerned, particularly where Dublin lead by a point going into the last ten minutes of play. They just couldn’t get across the line. Well done to Con and Cuala’s other representative Donal Lane. They gave us a great few months. Hard luck to Mick Fitzsimons and the seniors too.
- The New Members Registration day for Cuala Academy is Saturday 13th September 9.30am to 11.30am in the Cuala Bar. This year we will have our super coach Ken Fitzgerald on hand in the hall demonstrating what The Cuala Academy is all about – He will have some juvenile team players on hand and we will have refreshments and cakes for attendees. New members include girls and boys born in 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, and 2005 – Tell all your friends, the more the merrier! We are looking for volunteers on the morning to help with the newly launched Cuala Lotto, which was won for the first time in 2 years this week!
- A Cuala gathering will take place at 8pm (early start is to facilitate attendance of younger club members) on Saturday the 13th September in the Cuala bar to mark the contribution of Willie Braine as Cuala’s GPO and to thank him for his 5 years of coaching excellence. Juvenile members who have been coached by Willie over the years are encouraged to attend and wish him well in his new post as Coaching Director of Bray Emmets GAA club.
- Best of luck to minors , U16s and U15s who are in championship action this weekend.
More next week – enjoy the games