Hello Cuala Patrons
Buckets of news for you this week and the girls Féile is about to kick off. Get a cup of tea and the reading glasses:
- On Saturday the Under 12 girls (2001s) had two Camogie teams playing at home to Ballinteer and on Sunday had two Football teams playing away to Ballyboden. The 2001 girls are looking to recruit new players to play either Football, Camogie or both. For info contact 087 2238363.
- Cuala socials are a great success and we had a full house last Friday night. The next first year disco May 31st , last day of school ! 6th class disco 21 June. Don’t say you haven’t been warned and get those tickets early
- It’s all about the girls this weekend as Féile fever hits Dublin. The under 14 girls are looking forward to a feast of football and friendship this Saturday as they compete in their football féile. The girls have been training hard with senior football coach Derek Dunne calling the shots. The girls would love to see a large contingent of Cuala supporters out in Naomh Mearnog on Saturday morning to see them complete.
For most of the girls this is their first experience of playing in such a competition and excitement and enthusiasm for Féile has fever pitch.
Here is the panel:
Jennifer Byrne, Rachel Byrne, Eimear Loughlin, Ciara O’Callaghan, Caoimhe O’Carroll, Brid O’Donnell, Albha O’Dwyer Boyle, Fiona Murphy, Caoilinn Quinn, Katie Reilly, Emer Reilly, Sinead Ruigrok, Alison Slowey, Catherine Scully, Anna Sheehan, Rosa Hickey, Loren Fenlon, Roisin Quill, Sinead Wilde.
Orlaith O’Sullivan, Rebecca Beggins and Jennifer Dunne, three of the best supporters of many Cuala teams, will also be playing.
Wish them luck on the Cuala Facebook page or tweet to @cualaclg using the hashtag #DLGFAfeile
- A real gritty performance last Sunday from our U15 Hurlers saw them turn-over table-toppers and last year’s Division 1 Champions Na Fianna on a score line of 2-11 to 0-5. The standard of hurling was excellent, but the determination and ‘never-say-die’ attitude from our young hurlers bodes well for the future(see match report on the Cuala web-site).
- Under 16 footballers are preparing hard for next Saturday’s championship match v Raheny. We are listed to play away with a 3.30 throw in and all support is welcome. There is a chance the match will be brought forward to 12 noon to accommodate club members who want to go to Drogheda to support the Dublin minor footballers in their defence of their Leinster and All Ireland crowns against Louth.
- Speaking of which, Cuala will be proudly represented on the Dublin minor panel this year by Con O’Callaghan, Cillian Sheanon and Martin Cahalin and will be hoping to emulate Conor Mulally’s achievements last year in winning All Ireland Minor medals.
- The senior hurlers played their first game in Division 1 of the AHL away to Faughs last Sunday. After being totally dominant in the first half, the lads had to withstand a stern comeback from Faughs in the second half but held on for the win by 2-15 to 3-9. Barry Connolly with 0-9 and Cian Waldron with 2-1 were the scorers in chief for Cuala. It was great to see Oisin Gough,David Treacy and Mark Schutte, fresh from their involvement with the Dublin senior hurlers in the final of Division 1B of the National Hurling League the previous night, line out for the team. We congratulate Oisin, Mark, David and Paul Schutte on their success with Dublin and wish them well in the semi-final v Tipperary on the 21st of April.
Preparations for the upcoming championship are gathering pace with the lads doing anintense strength and conditioning session with none other than Olympic Gold medalist, Michael Carruth, at his gym in Drimnagh. The senior hurlers have also been competing in Division 1 of the Leinster Hurling league and, after topping their group, received a bye directly into the semi finals. They will be away to the winners of Ballyboden v Dunamaggin in the semi final on Saturday 27th April.
- Senior footballers playing first league match on Saturday away to Peregrines at 6pm. Last Saturday saw the Seniors beat Templeogue in a cup match by 2 points. Good performance by the lads in a hard fought battle.
- Congratulations to Ciaran McDermott who was the €400 winner in Cuala’s Last Man Standing Competition. The competition run over the last number of weeks provided great interest and entertainment to all that took part and raised some much needed funds for the Minor Section.
- Calling all Interior Designers! We are looking at enhancing the appearance of the club Bar. Our budget is minimal, if there are any Interior Designers out there who would be willing to volunteer some of their time and expertise into helping us with this project we would love to hear from you, please phone Declan Murray on 086 6025770 or email him on firstname.lastname@example.org .
- So you probably know that we now have SkySports in the Cuala bar. Should be good as the Premiership,Heineken Cup and Masters all get into the business end. Timetable for the coming days is:
Thursday: Masters Live from 2000
Friday : Masters Live from 2000
Saturday : Masters Live 1900 to close
Sunday : Stoke Vs Man utd 1400 , Dublin V Mayo (TG4), Masters Live 1900 to Close
Tuesday: Arsenal Vs Everton 1945
- On Friday 19th April 8pm, two of our most commendable young men in the club, Donal Lane (minors) and Aaron O’Rourke(senior footballers), will be holding a Table Quiz and Raffle in aid of the Oatlands Colleges Zambia Immersion Programme. With 21 other lads from Oatland, Donal and Aaron will be travelling to Zambia to do some volunteer work so the least the club can do is give them a great send of with a bit of funding. If you are Oatland’s Alumni, have current pupils there, want a bit of fun or feel like supporting Donal,Aaron, and a good cause please come and support.
Any queries contact Dónal Lane 0860553112.
- Lastly, we would like to thank all who organised and supported this year’s Mick Holden Memorial Golf classic.Another great day for a great man. Read here https://cualagaa.ie/2013/04/mick-holden-memorial-golf-classic-thank-you/
All for this week