Hello Cuala Patrons
The West will be very Awake this weekend as we reach the pinnacle of the inter-county football year on Sunday. The East isn’t doing too bad either where the Minors are ready and the tables are set and cutlery shined for the Cuala All Ireland Corporate Lunch this Friday at the Burlington Hotel.
- Another full house is expected with MC Des Cahill taking time out from busy selector duty with the Senior footballers and a couple of engagements with RTE. Should be a great day. There are still a limited number of places available if you want to entertain anybody from Mayo, Donegal or indeed the wider GAA family but you’d better act fast. All the details are on www.cualagaa.ie.
- Good luck to Conor Mulally, Martin Cahalane and all the Dubs as they prepare for the Minor All Ireland Football Final on Sunday. Good luck also to all our friends from Mayo and Donegal as they get ready for their big game. Live coverage on the telly starting at 1:15pm.
- We have a big game of our own Saturday in the the Senior Hurling Championship Quarter Final against Craobh Ciarán in O’Toole Park at 1745 on Saturday. The lads will be sporting their new sponsored jerseys from Home Instead and will be aiming to go one step closer to bringing the Championship ‘home’ for the fourth time and the first since 1994.
- Well done to Clodagh Sheehan, Sinead Murphy, Blaithin Lane and Hannah O’Dea who represented Dublin in the Cooper All Ireland Under 14 Blitz on Saturday. The under 14 girls have had a hectic few weeks with 5 games across both codes in 15 days. A 100% record in these games sees them qualify for the Division 2 Championship Semi Finals in both Camogie and Football. These will take place over the coming weekends, so another busy period for the 1998 girls, with support from some 1999s.
- Well done to the U13 Footballers who took part in the Annual Austin Stacks Football Tournament in Tralee last weekend. In the group of death with Nemo Rangers, Dr Crokes and John Mitchells, Cuala came joint top in the league stages and qualified for the semi finals of the shield. They played Ennistymon in what was one of the games of the tournament and with battling determination Cuala came out on top by three points and qualified for the final against Athlone on the Sunday. Cuala, cheered on by their new fans Mick O Dwyer and Ciaran Donaghy, battled bravely but were beaten by a single score. Ciaran Donaghy came over and complimented the team in the manner in which they played and the way they represented their club. It was a fantastic weekend and well done to the whole squad who represented their team and club so well and caught the eyes of such famous GAA legends.
- The U12 hurlers also deserve great credit for their Camáint exploits at Parnell Park. A brilliant semi final win over Lucan was the highlight of a great day for the lads.
- The U14B’s secured a top four finish in Division 5 and possible promotion with a hard fought win over Scoil Ui Chonnail on Saturday while the A’s team kept their hopes of promotion from Division 2 alive with a gutsy draw at Kickham Park.
- The U15A’s played a full blooded affair with Crokes at Silver Park on Sunday morning. While general consensus indicated Cuala had won by a point, the ref said draw, so extra-time ensued. The sides both scored 1-2 apiece in extra time to set up a replay that will have every ounce of passion that it would were it to be an All Ireland Final. Towering performance by Dara Collopy deserves special mention. Replay listed for Thomastown at 10am this Sunday and all support welcome.
The U15B’s had an easier passage past Na Fianna and will have the Championship progress to take their minds off the League Final they qualified for last weekend that will stretch the season into early November.
- There has been some cracking Championship action in the past week with the Senior Footballers edging out Crokes by one point in the Intermediate Quarter Finals last Thursday and the Juniors making it through to the C Championship semi finals with victory over Castleknock on Sunday.
- Can Mayo repeat their 19 point tally or will Donegal’s defensive machine make it a low scoring game? Sections and teams throughout the club are actively selling “Forecast the Score” cards for the All Ireland Senior Football Final – make sure you play your part by selling a card or at least making a forecast … or two.
- Folks this is important and a good offer. From January 2013, gums-hields are mandatory for all ages up to and including Minor players. Custom made gumshields offer far better protection for your teeth from injury than “off the shelf” varieties. Cuala have teamed up with the Dalkey Dental Clinic to offer Cuala members a great deal on individual custom made gum-shields will be made available at a a special clinic on Wednesday 3rd October at 6:30pm in Cuala for €35 euro’s each. Your gum-shield will be ready for collection in one week.This offer is open to every age group and any family members. If you have any queries you can email Jenny at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks Jenny for organising.
- The Céilís have started again and there is one this Saturday 22 September – so break out the dancing brogues.
Thats it for this week and enjoy the games